THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOBHM Reviews

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 pm

If you have or want to write a review for bands/albums in this genre, you can do so in this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 am

NWOBHM Reviews 200px-Dogsofwarrr2

SAXON - Dogs of War (reissue)

As Byford's review says, this is a move back to the more straight ahead heavier Saxon sound. But it retains a few more "melodic" songs as I guess they or their label had not totally given up trying to be a top 40 metal act. Which is weird because by 1995 grunge had taken over rock radio, in America at least.
The first song, Dogs of War, is a good opener and has some of the most groove for any Saxon song. Then a classic Saxon song for number two. Then song three. It's called Don't Worry. It should have been called Don't Play This Song. It's a horrible attempt, I guess, at a ballad but it never hits the mark in my book. After that the album evens out although Demolition alley is pretty uneven and one I'll probably skip over. Walking Through Tokyo is a very Saxonish anthem, a great song.
Overall I'd give this only 3.5 stars as they were'nt quite back to just being the straight ahead denim and leather Saxon we want them to be. Some good songs but with some to avoid.

My Amazon review for Saxon's Dogs of War reissue.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 2:53 pm

NWOBHM Reviews Saxoninnersanctum

SAXON - The Inner Sanctum

Showing no sign of slowing down, the older the Saxon boys get, the more they rock. This is solid, straight in your face, metal with all the subtlety of a jack hammer. With precision they rip through their paces with energy and seem to be having fun doing what they love. As one of the pioneers of the NWOBHM, it's too bad that Priest and Maiden get so much of the attention when the Saxon catalog is full of quality material. Not everything is excellent but there are a lot of gems through the last two plus decades of music they have put out. This one melds the classic sound without sounding dated. The song, Ashes to Ashes, is the best example of this in my opinion with a perfect tempo,heavy rhythm section that is stellar, some cool lyrics, and great guitar riffs being scorched. This may be the best beginning to end album they have done with no dogs to be found. It's time to kick out some real metal and Saxon brings the charge. I give it 4.75 stars.

My review for Inner Sanctum.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Many thanks for the reviews, etomb! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 6:03 pm

This group managed to stay off my radar until recently. I first heard them on the Last Supper album and was pretty impressed. Good solid power metal with a singer who has a man's voice. Now I love some of the tenor power metal singers but it's nice to have a group like GD with a very different vocal approach. And if Last Supper was good this one is better. This is positive metal done at mostly mid tempo that sounds meaty and crunchy and just speedy enough when it has to. These guys aren't part of the charge, they are leading. And with a vocalist sounding like he could be a German warrior with metal breast plate and bear skin coat the music fits the lyrics. If you like any power rock or 80's hard rock give these guys a try. After 20 years they are going strong and bringing the metal.

Review for Grave Diggers, Liberty or Death album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NWOBHM Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM Reviews   NWOBHM Reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOBHM Reviews
Page 1 of 1