THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Reviews

Go down 
+3
_Wes
Judah AriYah
TrogDawn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 pm

If you have or want to write a review for bands/albums in this genre, you can do so in this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 10:47 am

Metal Reviews 200pxstrypertyaba1984gf0

STRYPER - The Yellow and Black Attack (orig. mix)
1. Loud 'n' Clear
2. From Wrong to Right
3. You Know What to Do
4. Co'mon Rock
5. You Won't Be Lonely
6. Loving You

Metal Reviews C62631txv3jox4

STRYPER - The Yellow and Black Attack (corporate mix)
1. Loud 'n' Clear
2. From Wrong to Right
3. My Love I'll Always Show*
4. You Know What to Do
5. Co'mon Rock
6. You Won't Be Lonely
7. Loving You
8. Reason for the Season*

OK, this is my first hearing of the original mix of this Stryper classic (sorry in advance, ghosts - I know you hate them Winky ) and all I can say is WOW! The original mix is so much heavier and GUITAR driven! I've never cared for this album until now. The corporate version is SO watered down compared to this original mix! The only benefit the corporate version has is the addition of two songs* not contained on the original, but I think I'd take this original mix even if it meant losing the two extra songs!

I guess I never realized just how much Stryper got castrated once they got big. I know the record companies are notorious for ruining bands, but I also wonder how much the Church had to do with them getting watered down. I mean, even look at the difference in the covers above. The original cover is SO much cooler than the Lame... re-issue cover. Same thing happened with the To Hell With the Devil artwork:

Metal Reviews 200pxstryperthwtd1styr7 (original cover)

Metal Reviews 200pxstryperthwtdkx1 (Lame... censored cover)

I mean, the original cover was practically a masterpiece! It's definitely in my Top 25 favorite album covers of all time. I bought that album unheard, based solely on the cover art because I loved it so much - and I wasn't even a Christian at the time! (remember the glory days of metal when you could actually get away with that once in awhile without getting burned?) Why would these two excellent covers get changed? My guess is fear and judgment from the Church and perhaps even from the secular record companies.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. Troggish
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Judah AriYah
Master of Sparks
Judah AriYah

Male Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 am

Interesting, I didn't know that when Yellow & Black Attack got
re-released that they remixed it like that. I've only had the original
vinyl version and always liked the guitar sound of it..

Yeah, the original cover of To Hell With The Devil is way cooler.
I recently came across this on vinyl and it was only $5!! But I didn't have
the cash to buy it. I need to go back and see if it's still at this vintage shop.
I have a feeling it might be, even though it's been months..
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/ariyah
_Wes
What is the Matrix?
_Wes

Male Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 3:06 pm

I love Stryper!

Against the Law was very good - IMO. Seeing them live was pretty cool - they had hurricane opening up for them. . . that band had the brothers of the guitarist & bassist from Quiet Riot (playing bass & guitar) - and the guitar player did a solo with a bow. . . I saw them again a couple years ago on the club tour - they were bad!!! And I mean that in a good way! Sounded just as good as when I saw them in the 80's! Of course, Tim & Michael had short hair. . . lol......

Robert came out as we were all in line to get in (a smallish place outside St. Louis called "Pops" - in the cold - and did photos and hand-shakes with everyone. He was very nice. Smile

(click for bigger shot)
Metal Reviews Robert%20Wes_sm_small

Anyway. Yes. Stryper rocks. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://fretlessbassist.com
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 10:44 am

Metal Reviews State-of-control

This was one of my favorite groups back in the day and this album was more mature lyrically then their past two albums. Since my dad was an alcoholic at the time this album really spoke to me. It's already been stated whom they sound like though I actually liked bc better then maiden and priest, both of whom I used to listen to. Musically it's a throwback now but one that holds up well. It was heavier than big hair metal but not thrashy. I still listen to this and atomic arena quite a bit. Rock for the King is a little too cliche for me. If you are looking for the history of Christian hard rock this is one of the better places to start.

Amazon review for State of Control.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Metal Reviews 134_03_16_2007_10_47_02_m_1c8a88aff7e51d80fdfbddd9ef90cd91

Big D. One of the forefathers of the christian thrash/speed movement are finally back after, what, six years? This one delves back into the Stay of Excecution/Learn years with just a hint of the thrash that they are still so fondly remembered for on their fist two albums. Seems Jimmy Brown, who is the machine driving D, just doesn't want to play speed demon anymore. Vocally, it's a little more gritty then his latter work but the Bowie influence is still the biggest factor and again it works very well with the style overall. Always able to find good rhythm players to back his riff monster outings the sound here is a sort of progressive/light thrash metal.
Lyrically it's kind of all over, addressing skeptics of christianity, personal pleas to be more like Him above, and what sounds like a bite at those who use religion for personal gain. The lyrics show as much change and growth as the music from the first two albums. D started with just blatant and often direct quotes from the Bible to more allegory and introspection, yet their is really no question where they stand and hope is shining through.
I highly recommend this for any lover of metal in a progressive fashion. If it was any more technical and a little faster it would start moving into the Nevermore range. I love it and give it 4.5 stars as I really would like a song or two of just outright speed as in the old days.

Deliverance-As Above So Below
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Metal Reviews 766_1990

Fates Warning-The Spectre Within

Fates Warning is essentially the crossroad point between epic doom and heavy progressive metal. Along with early Queensryche, the first three Fates Warning CD's, to me, define and set the standard for heavy progressive metal. This is the second of Fates Warning works featuring the "not quite perfect" unique vocals of John Arch. Unlike many other prog. voacalists, Arch had a slight raspy, ragged edge in his voice, and it fit the mood of Fates gothic tales perfectly. This metal opus begins with the signature bells of warning of "Traveler In Time", a mid-tempo jouney of epic length and grandeur. The driving "Orphan Gypsy", follows with a short but memorable chorus. "Without a Trace", is by far one of the most unique tracks of Fates career, a speedier tale of a young girl lost, a senseless crime and the aftermath of all involved, with a chorus of desperate hope. other excellent cerebral journeys include the supernatural overtones of "The Apparition", and the nightmare and pleading prayer of "Kyrie Eleison". Heed Fates Warning, Christe Eleison!....Sabbath Steve
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 3:38 pm

I'm not really a prog guy, but I've kind of been meaning to check out Fates Warning for a while because they don't seem so pretensious (sp?) to me as much of the erst of the scene. Is that their first album?
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Its their second,one of the reasons I really dig them is that they have doomy parts in many of their songs and also I really like Arch's voice.Early FW was mystical but also had glints of a kind of Catholic lyrical sensibility,more in common with early doom as opposed to some of the introspective lyrical material of many modern prog bands.I tend to like things that are different lyrically,I usually like a mix of fantasy and spiritual or reality based stuff.I really liked early Queensryche but lost interest after the semi-apocalyptic "The Warning",the heaviness wasn't there and the lyrics were more vague.Thanks for the graphic Trog,really adds to the subject,one of my female orient. faves.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:42 am

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
I'm not really a prog guy, but I've kind of been meaning to check out Fates Warning for a while because they don't seem so pretensious (sp?) to me as much of the erst of the scene. Is that their first album?

Spectre Within is their second album and it's not really prog. It's just straight up, classic heavy metal. Great, great album IMO.

Monkey demon says buy now! MUNKYDEMON LUV U!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Reviews   Metal Reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Reviews
Page 1 of 1