THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST

Go down 
+7
ghosts of athanasius
etombdissonance
ultmetal
zombiewalkin
IronGuardian
Popergeist
TrogDawn
11 posters

Which body of work do you prefer?
HALFORD (Halford; Live Insurrection; Crucible)
HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Vote_l1091%HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Vote_r10
 91% [ 10 ]
Latter Day JUDAS PRIEST (Jugulator; Demolition; AoR)
HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Vote_l109%HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Vote_r10
 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Empty
PostSubject: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 5:03 pm

Rob Halford's solo work with the band HALFORD, or JUDAS PRIEST's later work with Ripper Owens through Halford's most recent album with them, Angel of Retribution?
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Popergeist
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Popergeist

Male Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

dude, Halford all the way, sure Owens is a great singer but at that point in time it seemed to me that priest was shoving way to much in to their songs as far as riffs are concerned and that took away form the vocal aspect of the album......the stuff was way to busy for my liking.

so yeah, Halford all the way.
Back to top Go down
IronGuardian
Chewbakkafakka
IronGuardian

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2007-02-24

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 pm

out of them, i've only heard Angel of Retribution
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironguardianindustries.com
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 6:57 am

I like AOR but those three Halford releases totally smoke!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 8:30 am

Halford!

I like the Priest stuff too, but I tend to like the Halford stuff better. "Catherdral Spires" and "Bullet Train" are two of my favorite songs from the Ripper-era.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Yep, HALFORD without a doubt for me also. WAY UP!

In fact, I wish he would have just stayed with his solo band instead of rejoining PRIEST. I think the solo stuff is MUCH stronger than the new PRIEST. I AM...

Those three HALFORD relases are some of my favorite metal of all time since I started getting back into metal and then discovered them around 2003... WAY UP! WAY UP! WAY UP!

HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Cov281 HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST 216 HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST 120

_________HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Halfordlogose7

HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Edbanger Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger! Ed-banger!

Last edited by TrogDawn on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 pm

So I was gonna start this thread but did a search first so i'll just revive it.

Listening to Halford and Jugulator back to back today and I would give Ripper the nod. His voice is stronger and the band sounds heavier. In my mind Priest's guitar duo is one of the best ever so i'm biased. Hey, I like Ripper better then Matt too so start throwin' the tomatos.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 pm

To be fair I haven't listened enough to the Ripper material
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:42 pm

ghosts of athanasius wrote:
To be fair I haven't listened enough to the Ripper material

I'm in the same boat. I have heard AoR, as well as HALFORD's Resurrection, and of the two I'd give a slight nod to HALFORD. However, I don't think ANY of it comes close to comparing with 70's and early 80's Judas Priest!!!
Back to top Go down
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 am

Halford. Yeah I'm confident in that choice.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm

I will throw in my 2 cents again to make 4.

HALFORD BY A METAL MILE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Crucible > Angel Of Retribution
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am

Totally missed this thread.

Can't say I'm disappointed that Halford is back with Priest. I've seen Priest twice since he's returned and loved it. I also like the new Judas Priest quite a bit.

However, I'd go with Halford over Priest when comparing the last few Priest studio albums to the two Halford studio albums. I actually wish that Halford would have done the tour that was planned before he re-joined Priest. Halford, Testament and Primal Fear. Now that would have been a tour to see.

I saw Priest with Ripper and they were outstanding! It was so cool to see Priest in a club. I was front row and center, standing right in front of KK Downing. Ripper was great with Priest. I don't think the material he had to sing on was their best, but he did a great job with the old stuff live. Just listen to the two live albums they released with him. His version of Diamonds and Rust is jaw dropping.

Best songs from the Ripper era of Priest was Bullet Train and Cathedral Spires. I wish Priest would resurrect these songs with Halford.
Back to top Go down
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 am

ultmetal wrote:

Best songs from the Ripper era of Priest was Bullet Train and Cathedral Spires. I wish Priest would resurrect these songs with Halford.

In agree-ance 100%.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah, I listen to Bullet Train a lot. Such a heavy riff and Tim is at his best.
Back to top Go down
exo
Wanker
exo

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:29 am

I'm a late comer to the priest/halford party.....and I've still got some difficulty stomaching much of the material prior to Painkiller anyway. So, speaking as a fan of the later era Priest catalog, primarily, I'm going to say that the Ripper albums take some undeserved hits.

I'm still voting Halford, though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST   HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HALFORD vs. LATTER DAY JUDAS PRIEST
Page 1 of 1