THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus

Go down 
+7
Popergeist
ultmetal
spectrefate
zombiewalkin
screaming7s
TrogDawn
skullvoid
11 posters
AuthorMessage
skullvoid
Hatchling Noob
skullvoid

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Empty
PostSubject: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:00 pm

I have just finished listening to this and I was BLOWN AWAY !
I can see a lot of people NOT liking this album.
It's JP's "The Elder" If you know what I mean!!
I REALLY LIKE IT !!
What do you think !?
Skullvoid
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:36 pm

skullvoid wrote:
I have just finished listening to this and I was BLOWN AWAY !
I can see a lot of people NOT liking this album.
It's JP's "The Elder" If you know what I mean!!
I REALLY LIKE IT !!
What do you think !?
Joe is in da HOWSE!!! Thanks for coming by, man! WAY UP!

Oh, I supplied you with that avatar, but feel free to change it if you don't like it. Can you guess why I chose that for you? GEEN!

Well, I just picked up my copy about a half an hour ago and haven't had a chance to spin it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. The Elder comparison you made only makes me want to hear it more though, since that is one of my favorite KISS albums. Troggish
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 1:31 am

My copy is in the mail! And, I too am a fan of The Elder!!!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 1:38 am

Moved this thread to the Mines. Ed-banger!
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:01 am

I really need to pick this up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:16 am

When I see it used for a reasonable price, I'll pick it up. Mainly a collection completer for me.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:22 pm

spectrefate wrote:
When I see it used for a reasonable price, I'll pick it up. Mainly a collection completer for me.

Hmmmmm........ya know yer probably right. I liked the last album but rarely spin it.
Back to top Go down
skullvoid
Hatchling Noob
skullvoid

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 3:39 pm

Trust me on this guys, You've never heard a JP album like this.
I didn't like the last album at all and I never play it. I have already played this one more.
But like I said, It's unike any other JP album. If you're looking for classic JP you may not like it. If you're looking for something a little different from JP I think you will REALLY like this.
ALL I'M SAYING IS ,GIVE IT A CHANCE
skullvoid
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Yep, gotta agree with Joe on this. I've made it halfway through the album and it's totally unlike anything that Priest has ever done. And I wasn't all that keen on Angel of Retribution anyway, so this is a welcome change. It's much more laid back style for them in that they don't just come charging out with all guns blazing, but they pace themselves throughout the album instead and offer a lot of ambient instrumental work in between each song. It's a concept album in the truest sense of the word, and a very ambitious one at that. I really like it so far.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 am

OK, I gave it my first full listen today and I found it really interesting. I'll have to sit down and hear all of the lyrics to get the whole story though. Aside from Halford's voice, I don't think it sounds like Priest much at all until the get to the title track, which is the next to the last cut on disc 2. I really like all of the ambient interludes and the way it feels like they pace themselves until they get to the end instead of the usual balls out of the gate style they use. I wasn't all that thrilled with AoR, so to me, this is a really cool change of pace for them. I think it will be a grower and will probably get more airtime than AoR has in my player.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 am

Honestly, all I could think of when listening to this was...

...you an naughty one, Saucy Jack, you're a haughty one, Saucy Jack.

It's not a bad album at all. I've listened to it several times all the way through. However, as a whole it's not even close to being at the top of the Judas Priest heep. If you remove all the little musical interludes and just put the actual songs onto one disc, there is only about 3 or 4 really good Judas Priest songs on it.

I'm hoping that this album helped the band get the "concept album" and "orchestration" bugs out of their system and with the next album they will return to creating heavy metal.

Here is an excerpt from a discussion I was having with some other people regarding this disc.
Quote :
ultmetal wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
I just picked up mine today. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though...

Listening to this one again this morning. Still can't get the, "...you're a naughty one, Saucy Jack, you're a haughty one, Saucy Jack." thoughts out of my head. Big Smile

candlemass wrote:
I think it's the most ambitious project they've ever undertaken, and is far from boring, but it doesn't surprise me that certain folk find it that way.

I thought the last Iced Earth, Manowar and Blind Guardian albums were boring too, while others were saying they were "the most ambitious project they've ever undertaken." Frankly, I think "concept albums" sometimes focus too much on the storyline and not enough on the songs. Complexity and adding in a bunch of orchestration doesn't necessarily make a good song IMO. Actually, these things tend to take away from my enjoyment of it most of the time.

I don't think it's a "bad" album. I've listed to it 5x since purchasing it last week, but it just doesn't grab me by the jugular like I expect Priest to. Sure, there is a few great songs, as ES said, but as a whole, it's too long, has too many odd little interludes and doesn't have even a full album full of the usual Priest-quality songs.

I'm looking at this as the "Music from the Elder" of the Priest catalog. It's an oddity that the band had to get out of their system. In the Priest catalog it will have people that love it and hate it, but overall, it will never be considered one of the band's best.
Back to top Go down
Popergeist
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Popergeist

Male Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I like Turbo more than I liked hearing this painfully long "concept" album.

First off, Rob's vocals sound forced throughout the entire album, it's like his heart isn't in singing anything but more or less like he's trying to be in a play. This is what makes concept albums awful. Thank you Priest for making a record that makes Turbo sound like British Steel.

Musically, it's got its moments where it is way to busy for, what seems to be, the sake of being busy or even "progressive". Again, I thank Priest for "challenging themselves" but it stopped there and became a "concept play" and no longer an album. And what's with all of the musical interludes, they really do not serve a purpose when there is nothing going on in them worth listening to...these interludes makes listening to Turbo that much easier for me now.

Lyrically, the story bores me to tears because i hate the fact that we revere people so much for being who they were now that they're dead....Does anyone know when there will be a Judas Priest George Carlin concept album, how about a Buster Keaton album or even a *gasp* Pope John Paul the II album? Evile

Oh well what do i know, I'm just an idiot with a strong viewpoint anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 1:44 am

I find this album really AWESOME, both different from anything the Priest has done before, yet completely fresh. Better than Angel Of Retribution imo. However, it's a bit TOO long sometimes : it could have been shorter, this would certainly have made it damn better.

Still one of my fave Metal album of 2008.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crypticmadness.com
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:42 am

spectrefate wrote:

You echoed my exact thoughts. As soon as I found out the concept behind this album, I became 70% sure I wasn't going to like it. But hey, you never know! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am

Ah good old Michel de Nostre-Dame...So overused in concept albums everywhere
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 11:39 am

I'm so curious now I may have to pick it up. it's getting more good reviews then I though it would.
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Frenchie wrote:

And on top of that ... though I've only heard the "Nostradamus" song so far, they seem to portray the man in a way that is quite inconsistent with the reality. That's the big thing that made me pretty much positive that I wasn't going to like it. But I am still very interested to actually hear it ... and my forecasted opinion may be proven wrong. Listening
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:51 am

I finally got through this and I found it okay. Rather boring in a way but some of the slower songs are really well written......BUT......it is just too long and drawnout. This could have been done with 11 or 12 songs. This will get very limited spins from me in the future.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 am

Just got on Priests website and they've got the tour dates listed. I'm in Maine and they're only coming as far as Jersey, but that can change.

Wow, I had no idea they had out a new cd. Yay! I'll have to download it on my MP3. Thanks for the post!
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 12:46 pm

I am just not super motivated about this one... I love Priest but I don't know.. a whole album Nostradamus just seems ho hum to me
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:11 am

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
Frenchie wrote:

And on top of that ... though I've only heard the "Nostradamus" song so far, they seem to portray the man in a way that is quite inconsistent with the reality.
Must say that the album is damn too long. First listening I was like WOW!!!, but then it became boring quite quickly.
The most to blame are the introduction/instrumentals : there are too much of those, this take so much place. They should do like him King of Diamonds
if they want to take lessons on how to do good conept albums.
BUT
I'm pretty sure that most of those songs will be quite good when played live. For me, this'll be the real test.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Yeah King seems to be the master of concept albums that dont totally suck.
Back to top Go down
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 3:09 pm

I got this today. I like it. But whatever steam gets built by one of the metal songs is quickly killed by an interlude. That's pretty frustrating. But "Alone" has the potential to become one of my favorite Priest songs of all time.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Some good songs, it is Priest, but too long and some boring interludes. Not what I want from JP.
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

etombdissonance wrote:
Some good songs, it is Priest, but too long and some boring interludes. Not what I want from JP.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I'll probably get it anyway just to complete my collection. And maybe get free concert tickets to boot. How cool would that be?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus   Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - 2008 - Nostradamus
Page 1 of 1