THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Empty
PostSubject: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Doobies09_flyer-1

Wino is scheduled to do an acoustic set!

If anyone makes it to town shoot me an email: detuned@ymail.com
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 10:46 pm

oh wow what a great line up!!! Year Long Disaster put on a KILLER show and Priestess... that will wail fully!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:15 am

There is a showcase for both Southern Lord and Small Stone records tonight. I'm going to try and catch the following bands:

Wino
Wolves In The Throne Room
Pelican
Solace
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 am

WELL....

Impatiently awaits report on how those performances were (particularly Wino's)... Listening
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Here's the full list of bands I saw at SXSW in the past week:

Earthless (3x)
Annihilation Time (2x)
Black Math Horseman (2x)
Radio Moscow (2x)
Kylesa
Skeletonwitch
Black Cobra
Wolves In The Throne Room
Wino (acoustic)
Pelican
Night Horse
Graveyard BBQ
Blower (local Austin band)
Spindrift
Bang Camaro
Year Long Disaster
Age Ov Reason
Priestess

Needless to say it was a great week of music.

Wino - I got to see him on Friday night for the "Southern Lord" showcase, despite a not so great sound mix he put on a great short set. The highlight was a rousing version of "Iron Horse". Then I was lucky enough to meet him the following day at the High Times party, we talked for about 10 minutes and it was a great time. He's very humble and soft spoken.

Unfortunately, he did not perform that day...there were 2 stages (1 inside, 1 outside) and there's very little sound dampening between them...Wino got up on stage to start his sound check, tried to sing a few lines...then stood up, shook his head and said "I can't hear myself think, I was promised I wouldn't have to perform over another band, f*ck this...I'm outta here". He packed up his acoustic and walked out. It was of course disappointing, but I don't blame him for being angry. It's one thing to perform with a band and a wall of amplifiers behind you...it's another to try and do an intimate acoustic set when you can't even hear yourself on stage.
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Bummer on that second Wino set... sounds like the stage setup was not very well thought out. I would imagine that seeing him do acoustic stuff live would be awesome...

...How were the other acts? Anyone in particular really stand out live?
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:11 pm

Some favorites:

Earthless - these guys have become the jam band/psychedelic version of Rush. They reach a synergy in their improvisations that most bands can only hope for. Being that all of their music is instrumental and the average song length in performance is 40 minutes...it takes truly gifted performers to keep it interesting, these guys make it riveting.

Black Math Horseman - Very interesting L.A. band whose debut album comes out on Tee Pee in April. Female bassist/vocalist, very much a "mood" band, they create a great atmosphere live. They are on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/blackmathhorseman

Pelican were just as impressive as I expected. I need to get more of their catalog.

Black Cobra was really good live, they're a duo of guitar & drums, no bass player.

Radio Moscow are a bunch of young kids from Iowa (oldest member is 24) who have a good thing going, they are closer in vein to the retro bands like Dead Man and Witchcraft. They are impressive for their age.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:50 pm

YLD is a great band. Featuring the son of Ray Davies of the KINKS on lead guitar and vox! WAY UP!
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)   Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Check out this show...(this weekend in Austin)
Page 1 of 1