THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guns N Roses - not one bad album!

Go down 
+2
TrogDawn
zombiewalkin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Empty
PostSubject: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 10:49 am

The first hard rock band I ever got into was Guns N Roses, back when Appetite first came out.

To me, there is NO bad GNR album (well, that my change when Chinese Democracy comes out).

Appetite -- Classic. What is there to say?

Lies -- Cool to have the early Suicide EP on an official release. Course, those songs were not recorded at a concert. They were live in the studio like the Intense live series, but with crowd noise dubbed in. Still, a cool vibe, and the new tracks are killer, too. I could do without the racist remarks in One in a Million, though.

Use Your Illusion I & II -- the band's magnum opus. Some people don't like these albums because they're "not as aggressive" as appetite. I don't agree with that at all. In fact, it seems like the band really got to be who they were on these records. You can hear Izzy & Slash's Stones influences, and it makes the album just that much more badass. It has a swagger that's just killer, and great songs to boot.

The Spaghetti Incident -- while not nearly as good as the others, still a good record. The problem is that Axl couldn't get along with Izzy -- so they lost a great songwriter. But the songs on this disc really capture the GNR spirit -- raw agression. Fans of Appetite would love this disc if they'd just give it a chance.

Live Era -- One of the few live albums that, like Kiss Alive!, captures a rawness and energy that makes the songs even better. But it's a bigger deal here, because with Kiss, for example, the studio albums sound a little pale compared to the live album -- but GNR's studio albums are full of energy and attitude, but the live versions are even more so.

Any other GNR fans here?
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 9:15 am

I thought AFD was the only thing worth listening to. I was pretty much dont with them once Use Your Illusion came out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

How come?
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 8:31 pm

I dug Live #$%& Like a Suicide and Appetite for Destruction and the acoustic stuff from Lies quite a bit back in the day but, like zombie, I was pretty much over them by the time the Use Your Illusion albums came out. I had pretty much just run my course with that style, I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 5:22 am

I only cared for Appetite and that suffered from overplay overkill. Which is why I likely did not care for the other releases. Plus Axel just got way too much to take. I did like some of the Slash's Snakepit stuff and Gelby Clark's solo stuff but I have to admit I only casually noticed it. Velvet Revolver is good. What is really wild is that before Scott WEiland became involved MIke Knott actually worked with VR. There is only one song he did, kind of his audition. It is fucking BRILLIANT. It's called Mother Mary. He posts it occassionally on his Myspace page. Wild! But Scott had more star power and Mike seems destined to only flirt with success. Probably has a little to do with the drinking
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 6:19 am

Velvet Revolver is ruined by the vocals IMO.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Wanker
metalken

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 9:55 am

I saw Guns... back in '88 (I think?) opening up for Iron Maiden who were on their 7th Son... tour. This was just when they were starting to get mainstream acknowledgement and Sweet Child O' Mine was getting tons of radio play. Duff was not at the show I saw them at for whatever reason, and they had the bass player from the Cult in his place. That was a pretty good performance that had Axl lose it on some guys in the front row and jump off the stage to get after them. Lets say, security guard mayhem. LOL. Ironically, they never played Sweet Child, as their set ended after the event w/Axl. At least they played a good 40 minutes before that went down.
I too lost track of their material after Lies... for whatever reason. But until then, I was a huge fan of those two releases.
On a side note, going back to the Weiland/STP connection; did you all know that the two brothers in STP (whose names are escaping me at the moment) were bandmates of Pritzl of Violet Burning in one of his early bands.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Addy

Male Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 10:18 am

Velvet Revolver IMO is one of the top bands out there today, I think Weiland is one HELL of a songwriter But this thread is about GUNS N ROSES.... so.......

Sphegtti Incident was a cover album, It was alright Im glad Duff got to do some vox on it, favorite is the Sex Pistols Cover

Appetite is Classic and by far their best

Use Your Illusion - That was an awesome undertaking some good cuts on those albums but they couldnt repeat an Appetite if they wanted to.

Metalken- I had no idea that is pretty wicked cool (big VB fan)
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 1:09 pm

ghosts of athanasius wrote:
Plus Axel just got way too much to take
Yeah, that had something to do with it for me too, I'm sure. I saw them with my then girlfriend (now wife) on the UYI _tour (with SOUNDGARDEN opening Doom-Metal ) and WAxl pulled his "I'm not coming out until the planets are alligned" nonsense. I don't think they hit the stage until well after midnight. And this was in February at an outdoor venue, so even in AZ were were freezing just sitting out there. My wife was a huge fan, but she was not impressed by that nonsense and we didn't even bother to stay for the whole set. That was pretty much the end of my affiliation with them, although I did just recently pick up Lies and Appetite for kicks.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 2:05 pm

BlackNightSky wrote:
How come?

Honestly I think it was Axl. I just got very tired of him. It got to the point where I just couldnt look at him and or listen to GNR. Its probably why I dont own the cd to this day although I think it is a very good cd...and in my top 10 of best produced albums.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 3:45 pm

The STP bros are Martin and Dean De... Leo? something like that.

Interesting on the Pritzl connection. Was this after Mike had become a believer? I am always curious how events, such as the roller coaster that was STP, are coped with if the participants have any background of faith.

I think Axhole ruined GNR for most fans and continues to do so. I want to know if Queens of The Stone Age are straight shooters or divas. They dropped off that GNR tour because of Axhole's treatment of the opening bands. But they also got into a rather nasty exchange with sHAROn Osbourne because they said they would never do Ozzfest again due to how bands were treated. So they could just have a no BS meter or are hard to handle themselves or both.

As far as GNR goes I just have zero expectations right now because it seems like the whole thing is a time bomb. Even if Chinese Democracy ever gets released how long til he blows it all up. Maybe Axhole, Fred Durst, and David Lee Roth should do a projet together?
hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Axhole
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Remember how Axl used to refer to himself as "W. Axl Rose" in the early days? Well, I've affectionately referred to him as "Waxl" since then, and it has proven strangely appropriate. Winky

But, so as not to turn Ian's well-intended thread into a total Axl bashing fest, you gotta admit that these guys ROCKED when they were at their peak. Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Chaos

Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Guns150zl3 Guns N Roses - not one bad album! P03837p9g4s Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Gunsrosesappetiteorig7gfu4

Last edited by on Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Oh totally. I guess that is what I am saying. I tuned out as the band became more about one guy,

That first release, even with all the chemical issues, had a unique blend of personalities and talent and attitude at just the right time. I think this is why Appetite is still the stand out after all this time. GNR were always best when they were a band and less when they were stars, egos, and dramatic
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:19 pm

That first release, even with all the chemical issues, had a unique blend of personalities and talent and attitude at just the right time. I think this is why Appetite is still the stand out after all this time.
It's called chemistry, my friend... Winky
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 8:25 am

I second that Trog! A great album with lots of great riffs and tone of energy and attitude.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Addy

Male Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 9:31 am

Axl is nothing without Slash and Duff both guys are awesome in their own right

Look at Axl he's being recluse and look at Slash and Duff, about to release another VR album...

I intend to get Chinese Democracy but you know whats gonna happen Ill pop it in and be like I waited over a decade for this CRAP?!?!?! I mean it better be better than Appetite and I dont forsee that ever happening......
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns N Roses - not one bad album!   Guns N Roses - not one bad album! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guns N Roses - not one bad album!
Page 1 of 1