THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
silentwake
Mattafakka
silentwake

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2007-04-06

High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Empty
PostSubject: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 am

Is a stoner classic IMHO.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 2:26 am

oh yeah, definitely!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
STIGMATADOR
Wanker
STIGMATADOR

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 5:37 pm

I dug it, even though I don't care for the stoner side of doom quite so much. I even liked their cover of Celtic Frost's "The Usurper." I pitched this disc to everyone I knew when I worked at Borders...

The follow-up on Relapse was somewhat disappointing in my opinion...

)+(
Back to top Go down
http://the-amen-corner.blogspot.com
silentwake
Mattafakka
silentwake

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 am

STIGMATADOR wrote:
I dug it, even though I don't care for the stoner side of doom quite so much. I even liked their cover of Celtic Frost's "The Usurper." I pitched this disc to everyone I knew when I worked at Borders...

The follow-up on Relapse was somewhat disappointing in my opinion...

)+(

To be honest, I only discovered them recently and this is the only album of theirs that I own, but judging from how much I enjoyed the whole album, I would like to catch up on their releses properly soon.
Back to top Go down
STIGMATADOR
Wanker
STIGMATADOR

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 am

The newer albums are better produced, but the songwriting is weaker, in my opinion.

But then--as I said--I don't normally go for that style. Sort of like bands like Mastodon, Fireball Ministry, etc.--they all have albums I like, but I don't care for the bands' entire catalogs.

If you want a decent band in that genre, check out Bible Of The Devil. They have a new(ish) album called The Diabolic Procession, and it's clever beyond belief--I reviewed it for Metal-Rules.com, and also plugged it in BAST Magazine. It sounds like music made by obsessive music collectors FOR obsessive music collectors, people who actually own albums by Blue Oyster Cult and Manilla Road. It's vaguely in the same vein, but much more diverse and educated-sounding.

)+(
Back to top Go down
http://the-amen-corner.blogspot.com
silentwake
Mattafakka
silentwake

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 3:52 am

STIGMATADOR wrote:
The newer albums are better produced, but the songwriting is weaker, in my opinion.

But then--as I said--I don't normally go for that style. Sort of like bands like Mastodon, Fireball Ministry, etc.--they all have albums I like, but I don't care for the bands' entire catalogs.

If you want a decent band in that genre, check out Bible Of The Devil. They have a new(ish) album called The Diabolic Procession, and it's clever beyond belief--I reviewed it for Metal-Rules.com, and also plugged it in BAST Magazine. It sounds like music made by obsessive music collectors FOR obsessive music collectors, people who actually own albums by Blue Oyster Cult and Manilla Road. It's vaguely in the same vein, but much more diverse and educated-sounding.

)+(

Thanks for the tip...will check them out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense   High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High On Fire-The Art Of Self Defense
Page 1 of 1