THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the new THRASH revolution

Go down 
+8
MetalH
SabbSteve
Popergeist
Stained Glass Flames
Jeffdls
ultmetal
Frenchie
crucifixion12
12 posters
AuthorMessage
crucifixion12
Hatchling Noob
crucifixion12

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-20

the new THRASH revolution Empty
PostSubject: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 am

Has anyone been enjoying the new wave of retro-thrash? I've been enjoying the 80's-esque sound quite a bit myself lately, digging bands such as Warbringer, Gama Bomb, Evile, Fueled By Fire, Bonded By Blood, Avenger of Blood, Merciless Death, etc. Who else is out there, and do you think the scene will stick around for a while or just another fad? I personally never really could get into the so called "modern thrash" bands, but these retro thrash bands are a breath of fresh...or rather recycled air to me.
Back to top Go down
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 am

I don't think it'll last long. Last wave of Retro-Thrash, between 98 and 99 (with Infernö, Nocturnal Breed, Gehennah, Desekrator...) didn't last very long (like 2/3 years or so), but it wasn't supported by big labels (I mean : Toxic Holocaust on Relapse and Warbringer on Century Media...WTF???), so maybe this 2nd wave of Retro-Thrash will last a bit longer, who knows? I've never been that much into Thrash myself, except *shameless self-promotion here* the french bands like Impérial, Nemod, Aleister, Invoker and the likes...still, it's good to see patched jackets again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crypticmadness.com
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 am

I'm enjoying many of these bands. Just picked up a CD by FATALITY that's quite good.

There old school are still around too. Hirax, Exodus, etc.

If you guys haven't heard, check out Ultimatum:
www.myspace.com/ultimatummetal
Back to top Go down
crucifixion12
Hatchling Noob
crucifixion12

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 10:13 am

Wow I didn't realize that this is a second retro-thrash wave. Back in 98/99 I was immersed in melo-death and industrial so I must've missed it! Ultimatum is very good, they've stuck with the sound and been tried and true even when it wasn't the "in" style of metal to be playing. They deserve (and so do metal fans) a wider distro. I wonder if some of the labels picking up today's thrash know about them....Metal Blade, Earache, CM, etc...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:20 am

crucifixion12 wrote:
Wow I didn't realize that this is a second retro-thrash wave. Back in 98/99 I was immersed in melo-death and industrial so I must've missed it! Ultimatum is very good, they've stuck with the sound and been tried and true even when it wasn't the "in" style of metal to be playing. They deserve (and so do metal fans) a wider distro. I wonder if some of the labels picking up today's thrash know about them....Metal Blade, Earache, CM, etc...

You can get Ultimatum CDs from TheEndRecords, CDBaby, Amazon, Century Media Mail order, etc...
Back to top Go down
Jeffdls
FLINTSTONER
Jeffdls

Male Number of posts : 1791

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
If you guys haven't heard, check out Ultimatum

Ulimatum??? Are they any good??? Huh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jeffdls
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 am

crucifixion12 wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember 98/99, nearly all the BM bands were in a retro-Thrash side projects. Other retro bands of that era wotrth checking out were german Hypnosia (brutal early Kreator worship), Guillotine, Suicidal Winds and of course there's always the swedish Bewitched and their lousy Z-movie like wannabe offensive satanic lyrics Laughing

Oh yeah, and your avatar : sorry but Austrian Death Machine is the proof that retro-thrash has become DAMN trendy. I mean, come oooon : the singer of As I Lay Dying trying to badly imitate the sound of D.R.I., while Municipal Waste does it a 1000 times better...smells like in 88, when Thrash was shot a first time when big labels came in to ca$h on the $ucce$$ of Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Kreator...and that there were lou$yband$ popping up everywhere : Poltergeist and the likes.
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Frenchie wrote:

Oh yeah, and your avatar : sorry but Austrian Death Machine is the proof that retro-thrash has become DAMN trendy. I mean, come oooon : the singer of As I Lay Dying trying to badly imitate the sound of D.R.I., while Municipal Waste does it a 1000 times better...smells like in 88, when Thrash was shot a first time when big labels came in to ca$h on the $ucce$$ of Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Kreator...and that there were lou$yband$ popping up everywhere : Poltergeist and the likes.

I agree from a musical perspective, but you've gotta give AUSTRIAN DEATH MACHINE props based solely on the fact that they pay homage to Arnold!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
crucifixion12
Hatchling Noob
crucifixion12

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 am

Yeah Arnold is one of my biggest heroes largely due to the heights he reached in professional bodybuilding. That is the biggest attraction of ADM for me, it's a tribute to the Governator. We need a tribute band to Franco Columbu as well... call it Italian Short But Strong as Ass Machine.
Back to top Go down
Frenchie
Wanker
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:27 am

Stained Glass Flames wrote:
Frenchie wrote:

I agree from a musical perspective, but you've gotta give AUSTRIAN DEATH MACHINE props based solely on the fact that they pay homage to Arnold!! Laughing
NO!!! They should have used Chuck Norris instead Razz Laughing

I mean, who wouldn't buy an ENTIRE albums made from his quotes taken from his 80's Cannon-produced movies, like Delta Force 2 or Invasion USA? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Popergeist
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Popergeist

Male Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 am

I'm soooo glad i don't play retro thrash. Seriously, the 80's thrash already happened, why copy the scene when that scene will always be better than the copycats that it has spawned?

So many bands today [in a lot of genres] are so unoriginal it is truly sickening. There is very little originality in mainstream bands and a lot of signed underground acts today.

crucifixion12 wrote:
Yeah Arnold is one of my biggest heroes largely
due to the heights he reached in professional bodybuilding. That is the
biggest attraction of ADM for me, it's a tribute to the Governator. We
need a tribute band to Franco Columbu as well... call it Italian Short
But Strong as Ass Machine.
one of the guys that used to come into the store i worked at a few years ago knows one of those guys that Arnie used to lift with back in the day...and I'm thinking it was Frank.
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 8:48 pm

@ crucifixion12: "Italian Short but Strong as Ass Machine" does have a nice ring to it! Laughing And Franco was ridiculously strong! Twisted Evil

@ Frenchie: I remember stumbling across a band online a few years ago, and the band was actually called CHUCK NORRIS. They were decent too... played a really crusty punk/grind mix. Strangely, all their song titles and lyrics (as far as I could tell) were in Spanish!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Popergeist wrote:
I'm soooo glad i don't play retro thrash. Seriously, the 80's thrash already happened, why copy the scene when that scene will always be better than the copycats that it has spawned?

So many bands today [in a lot of genres] are so unoriginal it is truly sickening. There is very little originality in mainstream bands and a lot of signed underground acts today.

So if a new saxaphone player decides he enjoys and wants to play classic jazz, he is unoriginal and unispired? Thrash is a style of music like any other. Great bands come and go. Music styles remain. While I love many of the 80's and 90's thrash releases, there are a lot of great releases coming out now under the "thrash" moniker as well, some from new bands, some from the old guard. Hirax's "New Age of Terror" comes to mind as one of my favorites and it isn't exactly breaking any new ground.

I agree that there are a lot of young bands right now trying to imitate Exodus, Slayer, and Metallica. However, wasn't Metallica at one time heavily influenced by Motorhead and Diamond Head. Similarly, many of these bands will grow, change and become true artists. I can't fault them for starting with something they truly love and enjoy.

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm

I really like the thrash sound ,but there seem to be few unique sounding vocalists,it seems to be either hardcore/death kind of vocals or screeching,the best older thrash bands IMO like their classic metal counterparts, had distinct voices,Metallica,Megadeth,Anthrax,Flotsam and Jetsam(I liked that high voice,at least it was different)Overkill.As a long time vocal chameleon(my voice always slipped partly into a mimic of whoever I was singing along with) I later learned the value of someone developing their own vocal sound,it makes things more interesting.I could easily handle an angry but not too growling voice or some more air raid siren type vocalists,in a thrash band with more socially concious type lyrics,any suggestions.......
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:11 am

I think Toxic Holocaust the best out of the new ones. As Thrash has always been my favorite, Im enjoying it all quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Wanker
MetalH

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 1:08 am

I'm thrilled will all the new thrash out there. From new bands and old. Yes, I'm still alive.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 am

I just discovered Violator, their Chemical Assault album is astounding! Very 80's thrash that can snap yer neck like a twig!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 am

I need to check out Violator. Do you know their MySpace site?
Back to top Go down
Jeffdls
FLINTSTONER
Jeffdls

Male Number of posts : 1791

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jeffdls
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 am

I'm digging on Violator. Have both of their CDs now, and even their rare CD single. Ultimatum performed a show with them a couple months ago. Great band, nice guys as well. Wish I would have had some cash at the show. Would have grabbed one of their tour shirts.
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:48 am

Lazarus A.D. = Total Awesomeness!
Back to top Go down
NapalmDave
Mattafakka
NapalmDave

Male Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 8:29 am

megadeth FTW, i love tallica with cliff burton, but hate them after, and megadeth has always been a better band, killing is my buiness is way better than kill em all, rust in peace is one of the best metal albums of all time
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
NapalmDave
Mattafakka
NapalmDave

Male Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 8:32 am

plus the last 2 megadeth albums have been great
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
Sword Of The Heretic
Mattafakka
Sword Of The Heretic

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Megadeth rules, dood. WAY UP!

Holy shit. I'm no longer a wanker!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Cap'n Caveman!!!
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Nah, you're still a wanker, but Megadeth does rule!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the new THRASH revolution   the new THRASH revolution Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the new THRASH revolution
Page 1 of 1