THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A personal realization...

Go down 
+6
zombiewalkin
ghosts of athanasius
etombdissonance
spectrefate
TrogDawn
Shawn Eat Snake
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2007-01-17

A personal realization... Empty
PostSubject: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 5:28 pm

My 4 favorite bands , whose entire catalog I never tire of, are:

THE BEATLES
KING'S X
U2
JOURNEY (Perry era)

Anyone else that I'm a fan of, I don't like them nearly as much as I like those 4 bands. The next 4 would be:

BLACK SABBATH (Dio-era/HEAVEN & HELL)
KANSAS (first 6 albums especially)
DAVID BOWIE
TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

These 4 bands never get old and they're deep enough that I can always manage to find something new in their music as I go on...but not quite on the pedastal the first 4 I listed are.

Most other bands, I like songs or albums by...but don't love the band as much as some of the songs or albums. Albums like:

BUTCH WALKER - Letters
CHROMA KEY - Dead Air For Radios
OPETH - Still Life
KATATONIA - Discouraged Ones
VERTICAL HORIZON - Go
METALLICA - Ride The Lightning
CRY OF LOVE - Brother
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - Transatlanticism

I like those albums a LOT...but can't really say I'm a fan of the bands. Butch is really good, but that album is his pinnacle IMO...same with the others...if I grab those artists, those are the albums I go for.

No point to all this....just sharing my love for music. GEEN!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 pm

You poor, poor bastard. Sigh
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:02 am

Yeah, I've just recently noticed that I don't listen to alot of metal.

When I do, it's pretty brutal stuff, but I find myself listening to more AOR, rock or *gasp* old pop (but it still has fizz).

I have alot of extremes in my collection from like Deicide to say Debbie Gibson or Rebecca St James to Akercocke. But I lean towards the gentler stuff as I get older.

Sometimes I feel as though I am mental.

I often wonder what it would feel like to stab.......oh wait, I'm sorry. I was babbling.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:32 am

Trog - Don't despair...I'm still a fan of old SABBATH, TROUBLE, COUNT RAVEN and tons of other Doom Metal...its just not in that upper echelon of bands for me...the bands I listed are what are my ultimate, all-time favorites...

10 years ago, my all-time faves were QUEENSRYCHE, FATES WARNING, DREAM THEATER, KING'S X & JOURNEY...over time, those first 3 have faded mainly because the later matieral they released (aside from FW) began to be less and less interesting...for me DT began fading after Falling Into Infinity and 'RYCHE began fading after Hear In The Now Frontier...they've both since released a half-dozen records that I just don't care for...it took FW until thier last album to fail to immediately grab me...

With my Top 4, there's not a single album that I can't listen to and enjoy every time I hear it...

When I reach for old SABBATH, it's a hits collection...when I reach for TROUBLE, it's usually The Skull...when I reach for KATATONIA, it's usually Discouraged Ones...when I reach for IRON MAIDEN, it's usually Piece Of Mind or Somewhere In Time...when I reach for DT, it's usually Awake...for 'RYCHE, it's usually Empire or Rage For Order...

I still like all these bands, but I can go weeks without hearing any of them...I can't go a week without hearing something from the bands in my Top 4 above...that's the only dif.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Everyone's tastes change. My have ebbed and flowed form 80's to death to trOO metal to doom to prog-metal. I have learned that they will come back around and that it's ok to listen to Candlemass and Grave Digger back to back. I just picked up Dark Tranquillity's Skydancer and Rage's Carved In Stone, then Abysmal Dawn's Programmed to Consume. How many people will get those three?

Sorry Shawn, but Mr. Bulbous was a sucky album. The rest are good though I don't have the new one.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Mr. Bulbous kicked ass.. great friggin' album
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

I just didn't like the huge Beatles influence. It's always been there but more subdued then on that album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Mr. Bulbous damn rules!! Was spinning it last night...great, odd songs...love the melodies & the vibe...
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Ok, you guys win, it FREAKIN' slays. I did just pick up XV and while not going to be my fave by them it has some really great stuff. Go Tell Somebody has a great Over My Head vibe. The bonus songs are killer too.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Trog - Don't despair...I'm still a fan of old SABBATH, TROUBLE, COUNT RAVEN and tons of other Doom Metal...its just not in that upper echelon of bands for me...the bands I listed are what are my ultimate, all-time favorites...
I'm just fuggin' with you man. Winky
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am

TrogDawn wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'm just fuggin' with you man. Winky

WELL STOP IT!!!! Furious
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 am

I think Shawn's undies are too tight lately. Laughing
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Ya know in 2003 my favorite band was the Supersuckers. I have everything up to Motherfuckers Be Trippin' and then after that I just kinda stopped caring for some reason. Just yesterday I was going though my cds thinking........why do I have all these SS cds? I should sell em off........then I figured nah cuz a year from now Im gonna be on a SS kick and wish I still had em.

Tastes change though I can relate. Still there are some albums to me that never get old.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Kix - Hot Wire
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Metallica - Kill Em All
Anthrax - Among The Living
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Stryper - Soldiers Under Command
Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
Ozzy - Diary Of A Madman

Just to name a few.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Supersuckers kick ass too! Hang on to those.. when the mood is just right those albums just do it for me
Back to top Go down
Addy
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Addy

Male Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 am

Bowie rules
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:45 pm

[quote="Shawn Of Fire"]My 4 favorite bands , whose entire catalog I never tire of, are:

Wow,only four,my life would probably have to be on the line for me to pick just four,I might be able to pick one from eachsub -categories but even then it would be difficult,I can pick fave styles of metal,the top would be doom and power/prog(uh oh,is that a genre cop I see) and classic metal,next would be heavy gothic(esp with female vocals) and then thrash, which I can pick four faves from
Old METALLICA
MEGADETH
ZNOWHITE
BELIEVER
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Ok, let's all do this as a survey -- I think it will be very revealing! Here are mine:

My 4 favorite bands , whose entire catalog I never tire of, are:

Queen
Megadeth
Guns N Roses
Judas Priest

Anyone else that I'm a fan of, I don't like them nearly as much as I like those 4 bands. The next 4 would be:

Kiss
Metallica
Sabbath
Kansas

Most other bands, I like songs or albums by...but don't love the band as much as some of the songs or albums. Albums like:

Ozzy (solo) - No More Tears/Blizzard of Oz
Motley Crue - S/T (MC94)
Dio - Holy Diver
King Diamond - The Graveyard

Last edited by BlackNightSky on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Hey Ian - glad you're here bro! Smile

Mine are easy:

1. BLACK SABBATH
2. BLACK SABBATH
3. BLACK SABBATH
4. BLACK SABBATH

Troggish
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Hey bro -- glad to be here!!

Man, you're full of surprises today -- Black Sabbath? Who would have known? Laughing

You still looking for that Saturday Night Fever record?
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Hell YEAH, mattafakka!!! Dance, nanner!
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Hmmm
ENTIRE CATALOG? Then Vengeance misses the boat barely.

King's X
Sixteen Horsepower
Megadeth
Sometime Sunday
Tonio K.
Trouble
Rez
Project 86
The Sword (haha bit of a cheat there)
U2
Blindside
all things Mike Knott
I Mother Earth
Tea Party
The Crucified
Quicksand

any of those guys, any album, any time... I think there are a few more but I am blanking
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 8:29 pm

OK,I'll give it a try,though I will have to bend the rules a bit(like thats anything new, LOL)
all versions of SABBATH
SOLITUDE AETURNUS(big surprise there ,huh)
LAST CHAPTER
PENTAGRAM
PLACE OF SKULLS
anything fronted by WINO
LAS CRUCES
SAINT VITUS
TROUBLE
CANDLEMASS
PARADISE LOST
JUDAS PRIEST
URIAH HEEP
GRAVE DIGGER
old METALLICA
MEGADETH
ROSE
TYRANT
COUNT RAVEN
FATES WARNING
WARRIOR
ZNOWHITE
BELIEVER
IRON MAN
old SAVATAGE
old HELLOWEEN
BLUE OYSTER CULT
SOCIAL DISTORTION

These are the ones I have the most cds of,with the exception of SAV and HELLO which are mP3s, I constantly burn cds and many of these go into the lineup.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Oh yeah for sure Place of Skulls and Believer
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 6:01 pm

dood, I'm such a tard -- how could I leave out ALICE??? Alice is definitely in my top 2 or 3...........

Anyone pick up the new record today? I did...
Back to top Go down
Judah AriYah
Master of Sparks
Judah AriYah

Male Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 4:16 am

picking 4..

16 HORSEPOWER / WOVEN HAND
LED ZEPPELIN
HANK WILLIAMS SR.
JOHNNY CASH

ok i lied.. i'm picking 5.. haha

BLUE OYSTER CULT

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/ariyah
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Impressive picks indeed!!! Great to see you as always Judah!
Back to top Go down
Popergeist
Cap'n Caveman!!!
Popergeist

Male Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 5:26 pm

i should be picking my nose instead of posting this, but my all times faves would look like this:

Misfits
King Diamond
Megadeth
Steve Vai

the other 4 [used to be my top 4]
Metallica
Queensryche
Danzig
Satriani
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A personal realization...   A personal realization... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A personal realization...
Page 1 of 1