THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about Orange Goblin

Go down 
+4
zombiewalkin
dOOm&gLOOm
TrogDawn
etombdissonance
8 posters
AuthorMessage
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Tell me about Orange Goblin Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 pm

A band that has been on the periphery for me for awhile now. A couple samples I found have sort of a stoner fuzz/doom vibe but i'm wondering if anyone here is really into them and what do you think?
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 9:28 pm

I only have Time Travelin' Blues and a couple of Sabbath covers they did. They have a pretty good stoner vibe, but they haven't really blown me away based on the little I've heard.

I can post the Sab covers online if you want to hear them.
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 pm

I dig this band but as Trog said ... nothing tooooooo too special. I've got one of their older albums (the name of which escapes me) and the newest one. And surprisingly, I found that their newest album is actually much better than their old stuff IMO. But it's pretty much all the same sound, so ...
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:29 am

Sabbath covers would be interesting. If I see them on the cheap I may pick it up.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 am

I have Time Travelin Blues as well. A good album but nothing outstanding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:41 am

Thier latest, Theiving From The House Of God, is pretty killer...
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Cap'n Caveman!!!
zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 am

Might have to check that out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/inwardrocks
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am

Not to quibble, but Healing Through Fire is the newest.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:00 am

Oops...I guess I means "Latest one to me"... Laughing
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 am

Might be the first time I knew something musically you didn't. I feel like Reilly in National Treasure.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:20 pm

I really like Time Travelling Blues,I don't get into too much on the "stoner" side but IMO that is one of the best of that style I have heard,its kind of hit and miss for me with other stuff,but I am willing to listen....
Back to top Go down
Teargas71
Wanker
Teargas71

Male Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:43 pm

I agree with the consensus. They are good enough, but probably interchnagable with several other bands. For me they fall into the "keepers that I rarely listen to" catagory.
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:47 am

etombdissonance wrote:
Might be the first time I knew something musically you didn't. I feel like Reilly in National Treasure.

Baa-Ziinng!!!! Laughing

Love that movie!
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 8:25 am

I wasn't overly impressed at first, but this band seriously grew on me over the past few years and have become a favorite. There's a "tongue in cheek" vibe to them that's very endearing, they don't take themselves too seriously...just sound like a bunch of blokes out to have some fun. They wear their influences on their sleeves and they are proud of it. They've transformed their sound from initially stoner(ish) to more of a classic metal sound over the years, but it feels more like a natural progression than a calculated change of direction. My reasoning behind that is there were some missteps in the process, a couple of the middle albums weren't really up to par, but they've rebounded in a big way. My thoughts on their discography:

Frequencies From Planet Ten: While there are moments of throwing a little too many ingredients into the stew, this is quite an impressive record. Equal parts doom, psychedelia and straight ahead metal. Standout tracks: Magic Carpet (with some nice jazz touches), Aquatic Fanatic, Land Of Secret Dreams and the epic closing track Star Shaped Cloud.

Time Traveling Blues: This album is the one that initially got me interested in the band, the opening track Blue Snow is brilliant. There are still elements of fanboy worship....the Deep Purple inspired intro to Shine, but their own sound is starting to come out. Standout tracks: Blue Snow, Solarisphere, The Man Who Invented Time, Nuclear Guru.

The Big Black: The last of their quasi-stoner releases, this is the one where it all comes together for them. Even though they use Kyuss as the blueprint to work from, this is definitely their own date and it's the first album that flows perfectly all the way through. The shorter songs actually work in their favor, saving the one long track to end the album with. All the tracks on this one are standouts.

Coup De Grace: This album is the one where they sounded like they were struggling a little too hard to evolve. There are some excellent tracks: Rage Of Angels (one of their best songs), Getting High On The Bad Times and two featuring John Garcia on guest vocals, Made Of Rats and Jesus Beater. But as a whole it's quite an unfocused record, The Misfits cover tune just seems to nail that point home.

Thieving From The House Of God: The first record by the quartet version (second guitarist left) is actually a step up from the previous album and more firmly states their intention to be a straight-ahead metal band. The unfortunate aspect is that the production quality is sub-standard and really takes away from the overall impact of the songs. I've heard live versions of some of these tunes that are far and away better. Standout Tracks: Round Up The Horses, One Room, One Axe, One Outcome, Black Egg.

Healing Through Fire: It's not often that a band gets around to releasing it's best album a decade into their career...many groups peak way before. But this is one of the exceptions. After being discouraged with their previous two releases I had almost given up hope...but then I heard "The Ballad Of Solomon Eagle" and grabbed the album right away. Easily their best record, they sound confident, assured and full of attitude. Thankfully the production quality is first rate and this record sounds best LOUD. Standout tracks: Pretty much the entire album, but the following are my personal favorites - Hounds Ditch (could be their best song ever), Cities Of Frost, Vagrant Stomp, Beginner's Guide to Suicide.

Sorry for the rambling post....
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey Detuned,some great analysis there,sounds like I need to look for the first and third discs(when I get some money that is),I really liked TTB,one of the few I bought from John Perez that wasn't total doom......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Orange Goblin   Tell me about Orange Goblin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Orange Goblin
Page 1 of 1