THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A King's X surprise.

Go down 
+3
ghosts of athanasius
Stained Glass Flames
etombdissonance
7 posters
AuthorMessage
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2007-04-26

A King's X surprise. Empty
PostSubject: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:05 pm

I have never picked up Manic Moonlight as when I first heard some of it, it didn't appeal. I forget that they often grow on me. Anyways, finally picked up a cheap copy, (sorry Ty, Dug, and the other guy) and it kicks. It's not the first four or five albums but Ty's tone is intact and some great groove.
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:32 pm

"The other guy" is Jerry Gaskill. Smile

And yes, Manic Moonlight is an excellent album. Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

Male Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 pm

definitely different and probably my least favorite release.. well maybe that is Tapehead... But I love it. Even the least favorite releases are soooo great. I am a total fanboy of those guys. Dug's last two solo albums have been very strong and I really really loved Ty Tabor's Rock Garden with its great 70s vibe
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/athanasius
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 3:17 pm

I knew it was Jerry, you just never hear about him. My attempt at humor.

I'm a fanboy too though I can never get into Dug's solo stuff. I miss Ty's guitar too much. I could never get into, Please Come Home, no matter how hard I tried.
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 3:23 pm

REALLY??? Bulbous is one of my faves... it was so reminciscent of the earlier material

Dug's last solo album was very strong IMO
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 am

Manic Moonlight isn't their best work, but there is still some very good stuff on it...I love "False Alarm"...and "Believe"...
Back to top Go down
withering
Wanker
withering

Male Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:15 am

ghosts of athanasius wrote:
REALLY??? Bulbous is one of my faves... it was so reminciscent of the earlier material

Dug's last solo album was very strong IMO
Hmm... I might have to dig out Please come home... too, then Veddy interrresting - I've had somewhat of a kick on Manic Moonlight recently myself. (Although calling a king's X album being good a "surprise" is just plain wrong...! Evil or Very Mad )

Until then...
Praaay for me.. pray for me! If you really... do believe - then don't forget to pray for me...
Bouncy

(If you don't know what king's x song that is from, it means you're either not as impatient and/or morally degenerate as a certain someone else is... Evile )
Back to top Go down
http://implacable.no
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 am

Quote :
If you don't know what king's x song that is from, it means you're either not as impatient and/or morally degenerate as a certain someone else is

Yar, matey!
Back to top Go down
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:32 am

Before I traded off the bulk of my King's X to Mr. Of Fire, I was really diggin the later albums more than the earlier ones. Bulbous, Tape Head, and Manic Moonlight were all regular players for me.

So to be relavent to the thread, I must say that Manic Moonlight is an oft overlooked King's X masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
etombdissonance
What is the Matrix?
etombdissonance

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 am

I love Supershine. I think Dug needs a really good guitar player to bring out his best.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 10:49 am

etombdissonance wrote:
I love Supershine. I think Dug needs a really good guitar player to bring out his best.

Oh man, Supershine is awesome!!!! I'M NOT WORTHY!
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

You know when I saw KX in Seattle on the Ogretones tour they had played Chicago a few nights earlier. He said that Bruce was at the showing hanging out and that they were working on another Supershine album that was going to be waaay better.

I was/am excited.

Has anyone here heard Strum Sung Up? I really like it and was curious what others thought

Some of it here
http://www.myspace.com/dugpinnickpoundhound
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 11:29 am

Quote :
He said that Bruce was at the showing hanging out and that they were working on another Supershine album that was going to be waaay better.

Goofball SERIOUSLY????!??!?!?! YES!!!!!!!!!

'Strum Some Up' is good...a little different for dUg...hasn't quite sunk in all the way yet...
Back to top Go down
ghosts of athanasius
Pioneer Cave Keeper
ghosts of athanasius

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 am

new song ALRIGHT posted... I like it... sounds good to me

http://www.myspace.com/kingsx
A King's X surprise. 1by1
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 am

I got the new KING'S X disc on Saturday. I'm on my second spin now, and while its not as immediate to me as Ogre Tones was, it's still very good & growing on me. The first thing I notice is the utter lack of guitar solos. Ty just doesn't solo much, if at all (nothing comes to mind as I type), on this record. The backing vocals are a little more "gang chorus" than stacked harmonies (although there are harmonies present). Jerry takes lead vocals on a song (first time since Ear Candy, I believe). Much of this record has a really loose, live feel...like they just cranked everything up to 11 and rocked! dUg sounds great, as does Ty. The songs to vary nicely from track to track.

Once I give it a more in depth listen, I'm going to post an official review. But once again I can say that KING'S X chose to NOT do whatever it was they did last time and moved on again to something slightly different.
Back to top Go down
spectrefate
Mega-Mattafakka
spectrefate

Male Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I got the new KING'S X disc on Saturday. I'm on my second spin now, and while its not as immediate to me as Ogre Tones was, it's still very good & growing on me. The first thing I notice is the utter lack of guitar solos. Ty just doesn't solo much, if at all (nothing comes to mind as I type), on this record. The backing vocals are a little more "gang chorus" than stacked harmonies (although there are harmonies present). Jerry takes lead vocals on a song (first time since Ear Candy, I believe). Much of this record has a really loose, live feel...like they just cranked everything up to 11 and rocked! dUg sounds great, as does Ty. The songs to vary nicely from track to track.

Once I give it a more in depth listen, I'm going to post an official review. But once again I can say that KING'S X chose to NOT do whatever it was they did last time and moved on again to something slightly different.

Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe one day I'll hear it. Smile
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 am

King's X DVD on the way:

Gretchen Goes To London: Live At The Astoria 1990 (Molken Music)

also new Ty Tabor solo release coming December 6th.

http://www.molkenmusic.com/
Back to top Go down
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 pm

Cool! WAY UP!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 am

detuned wrote:
King's X DVD on the way:

Gretchen Goes To London: Live At The Astoria 1990 (Molken Music)

also new Ty Tabor solo release coming December 6th.

http://www.molkenmusic.com/

I just picked up this DVD along w/ Ty's new Balance album from Molken...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A King's X surprise.   A King's X surprise. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A King's X surprise.
Page 1 of 1