THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

URIAH HEEP!!

Go down 
+5
metalken
IronGuardian
Acid
TrogDawn
dOOm&gLOOm
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 12:34 pm

I don't think we have athread on this band yet...

Here is my (as of yet) meager URIAH HEEP collection:

Demons & Wizards
The Magician's Birthday

Pretty extensive, ey? I like both those albums for totally different
reasons, but DEMONS & WIZARDS is as of yet my favorite. Such GREAT
compositional skills, wonderful feeling and great use of contrast
between calmer moments and more rock and roll moments throughout the
album.

So far, I think RAINBOW DEMON is my favorite song from the band. Ya
wanna talk Heep? I'm planning on finishing my Heep collection ASAP! I
love bands like Deep Purple, Aerosmith, etc, so I don't know why it
took me so long to get into this band!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 pm

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
Here is my (as of yet) meager URIAH HEEP collection:

Demons & Wizards
The Magician's Birthday

Pretty extensive, ey?
Nothing to be ashamed of, you started with two of the most legendary ones! WAY UP!

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
So far, I think RAINBOW DEMON is my favorite song from the band.
Oh YEAH! I *love* that song! One of my faves as well. WAY UP!

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
I'm planning on finishing my Heep collection ASAP!
Good luck with that! I started working on their catalogue a couple of years ago, and I'm still only about 2/3rds of the way done! Laughing

HEEP rules. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Acid
Wanker
Acid

Female Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-10-08

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 8:13 am

The one I know best is Very 'eavy Very 'umble and of course it kicks ass Smile
Back to top Go down
IronGuardian
Chewbakkafakka
IronGuardian

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2007-02-24

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 am

I've only got WonderWorld.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironguardianindustries.com
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 am

Both great albums in their own respective rights! Doom-Metal
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 am

Acid wrote:
The one I know best is Very 'eavy Very 'umble and of course it kicks ass Smile
Been wanting to check that one out for a while now ...
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Don't know if I already mentioned this or not but my UH collection has
now expanded by 50%! It now includes 'Look At Yourself'. Demons &
Wizards is still my favorite, though!
Back to top Go down
metalken
Wanker
metalken

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-04-13

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:12 pm

I saw one of the Uriah Heep incarnations live in concert way back in 1983. A band that I have pretty much enjoyed everything that I have heard them come up with. With that said, I own nothing from them. Shocked Embarassed
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 pm

metalken wrote:
With that said, I own nothing from them. Shocked Embarassed
Get on the boat, dood!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Here's another HEEP thread for those who are interested:

http://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/it-s-only-rock-n-roll-f8/uriah-heep-t4291.htm#85484
Back to top Go down
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-02-25

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 am

I LOVE Uriah Heep!

d&g, you started at a great place, as TMB and D&W are my 2 personal favs! Look at Yourself is also very high in the catalog!

S/T(often called Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble) Salsbury, Sweet Freedom, Wonderworld, High & Mighty, Fallen Angel...

Although Ken Hensley is rarely given the credit Jon Lord gets, he is every bit as responsable for the heavy Hammond sound of the Prog of the 70's! AND Mick Box is one of the most under-rated guitarists of any era or genre!

David Byron is my fav vocalist of the band, of course! But, John Sinclair, Peter Goalby and Brian Shaw were no slouches either!
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Might seem like a bold statement,but I consider them one of the cornerstones of heavy rock.Uriah Heep were pioneers in several ways,they were one of the first to have keyboards and not lose any of the heaviness,they were,along with Rainbow,the first fantasy themed hard rock bands and IMHO the forerunners,the prototype ,if you will, of modern day heavy prog/power metal.Coincidentally,they are also one of the first heavy gothic type bands as well, with the dark atmosphere of Hensleys organ work on albums like Look At Yourself ,IMHO..........
Back to top Go down
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 6:58 am

Well said Sabb!
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Winky Thanks ,but to be completely honest,I did acquire some of that insight from John Perez,the guy really knows music, and I have been really lucky to have been taught some of the history of heavy music from someone who knows it well.

We were having a discussion one day about Heep and John voiced his opinion about the doomy part of it,that they were kind of a prototype of the more epic melodic doom,based on the fact that they were one of the heaviest of their time,had an excellent melodic,dramatic vocalist in Byron and wrote fantasy kind of lyrics,sword and sorcery etc., not unlike Candlemass,early Fates Warning and Sorcerer to name a few.

Based on his observation of that element I drew my own conclusions about how IMHO they were the musical ancestors of many present day bands,whether directly or indirectly,they were definitely a forerunner to the heavy power /prog music we now enjoy listening to.
Back to top Go down
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:35 am

John Perez of Solitude Auturnus?
Back to top Go down
IronGuardian
Chewbakkafakka
IronGuardian

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2007-02-24

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:21 am

Picked up their Best Of on vinyl over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironguardianindustries.com
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm

screaming7s wrote:
John Perez of Solitude Auturnus?

Smile Yeah,back before he became as successful with the BrainTicket label and mailorder,I used to get my cds and short lessons on doom and heavy rock history directly from the source.John is one of the reasons why I have been such a supporter all these years of Solitude.Back when he had the time,he was always willing to sit and talk for a while about doom and heavy music in general.

Of course I am happy for him and the cool fact that he can make a living doing something that he truly loves,but sometimes I miss just being able to call and have a short conversation about the latest doom releases and such.In fact though, I honestly do wish that Solitude could achieve more fans and fame,simply because they have more than paid their dues and deserve a place in heavy metal history IMHO.That is why I have been a tireless promoter, in a sense, of the band and written as much as I could about them.Maybe I should start calling myself Solitude Steve..... hmmm? LordTsebaoth
Back to top Go down
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:35 am

That's cool! Solitude is a great band!!!
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:56 pm

IronGuardian wrote:
Picked up their Best Of on vinyl over the weekend.

I have some great stuff on vinyl,some VITUS,CANDLEMASS,SABBATH,.......but Sad ,I have nothing to play it on Crying I would really like to have one of those turntables with cd that you can record from,you can get the turntable cheap, but the one you can record from is like two hundred more Furious

Best Of has some great music on it, though,after that,my highest recommendations would be Look At Yourself and Demons and Wizards

Best contains one of my all time favorite Uriah Heep songs and one of their best IMHO,"Sunrise".
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:48 am

SabbSteve wrote:

I have some great stuff on vinyl,some VITUS,CANDLEMASS,SABBATH,.......but Sad ,I have nothing to play it on Crying I would really like to have one of those turntables with cd that you can record from,you can get the turntable cheap, but the one you can record from is like two hundred more Furious

You don't need to spend that much money. All you need is a turntable and a separate phono pre-amp. Do a google search on phono pre-amps and you should be able to find one for under $50 (I bought a used one for $10 years ago). You then run the turntable into the pre-amp and out into the soundcard of your computer. Then you can use any .wav editor program to record the audio in (lots of freeware options out there).
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2009-10-05

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Everything up to Wonderworld was great, after that albums got a bit patchy. Been a real return to form recently with the "Wake The Sleeper" album. Still my favorite remains "Look At Yourself", first heard it back in highschool in 1976.
Back to top Go down
http://www.doommantia.com/
Sponsored content

URIAH HEEP!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: URIAH HEEP!!   URIAH HEEP!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

URIAH HEEP!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE CAVE :: MUSIC DISCUSSION :: Doom Room/Stoner Heights :: Classic Rocks (Proto/Hard/Southern/Prog)-
Jump to: