THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jethro Frikkin Tull!!

Go down 
+4
brontotex
strigoi
TrogDawn
dOOm&gLOOm
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

Male Number of posts : 1205
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Empty
PostSubject: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey! I can't believe I haven't gotten into this band till now! So far I've only got the remaster of Aqualung, but if the others are as good as this one, I'm definetely planning to fill out the rest of the classic Tull albums.

I picked up Aqualung a few weeks ago, and haven't been able to get it out of the player. It's a true masterpiece, an instant fave. And instant faves are hard to come by!

Any other fans? Comments? Live experiences? Discuss.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Male Number of posts : 7533
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 11:41 pm

I love TULL. I bought Aqualung used on vinyl for .25 cents at a garage sale when I was about 12 years old.

I would dare say that of all the albums I've heard from them, that one is the most consistent all the way through.

Others I highly recommend:

Thick as a Brick
Songs from the Wood
Minstrel in the Gallery
Broadsword and the Beast

Cool other ones to check out:

This Was
Stand Up
Benefit
(their first three)

Live: Bursting Out
War Child

I saw them live once in 1989 on their 20th anniversary tour. Awesome musicianship and showmanship all the way through.

Last edited by on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Yes, I have heard they are excellent live. I just picked up Benefit
yesterday, but have yet to listen to it. I'll check it out later today.
Back to top Go down
strigoi
Cheweezie the Wookiee Queen
strigoi

Female Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 am

Jethro Tull is a classic - literally. Smile I would have to say 'Aqualung' is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 12:11 pm

strigoi wrote:
Jethro Tull is a classic - literally. Smile I would have to say 'Aqualung' is my favorite.
I have heard that from a number of people now ... so I suppose it's a blessing and a curse that I picked that one up first, then Listening Anyhow, I'm really digging the few albums I have gathered up so far ... in the future I'll be checking out all the ones Trog listed, and probably others as well (though I don't know how many there are)
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 10:56 pm

dOOm&gLOOm wrote:
(though I don't know how many there are)
There's a shi'ite-load, so you'll be busy for awhile. Winky
Back to top Go down
brontotex
Hatchling Noob
brontotex

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 11:19 am

Great band!! I saw them live on the "Broadsword and the Beast" tour. Phenominal show!!!
Back to top Go down
dOOm&gLOOm
TROGLIKE
dOOm&gLOOm

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Cool, bronto!

Just to let eveyone know, the one's I've got now include: Aqualung, Benefit, and Stand Up. I like all three of them a lot! Classic band! Aqualung is still my fav so far!
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 am

Jethro Tull is in my top 10 favorite bands of all-time. Personal favorite albums are "Stand Up" and "Minstrel In The Gallery".

I saw them in 1998 and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Ian Anderson is a genius (and I don't use that term lightly).
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Mattafakka
Sword Of The Heretic

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 11:01 pm

I'm lookin thru Youtube in order to educate myself on Jethro Tull. Man, I have missed out on some good music. When I get another job, I'll try and score jome JT.
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:37 pm

UP

I was listening to War Child this afternoon and realized that I've been unfairly harsh to this album for too many years. I originally owned this as a teenager and didn't like it much...but listening to it now I realize that it's one of the jazziest records in their discography and that might be why I didn't connect to it at the time.

It's also heavy as hell. "Back Door Angels" is one of those songs that should be on every greatest hits compilation (but isn't). Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day is an absolute Tull classic (and was one of the few songs I always liked). Sealion is really heavy but has an interesting jazz fusion vibe to the arrangement.

Not the strongest in their catalog, but an interesting pre-cursor to the following album, Minstrel In The Gallery.
Back to top Go down
bigjtink
Mattafakka
bigjtink

Male Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 6:21 pm

I saw them live a bunch back in the day. Benefit is my favorite. Killer.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 9:37 pm

detuned wrote:
Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day is an absolute Tull classic (and was one of the few songs I always liked)
I've always loved that song, but it took on new meaning for me and got me through the first few weeks after my wife died. For some reason, Tull in general was the first music I turned to after she died and it was extremely comforting to me during that period...
Back to top Go down
detuned
Mattafakka
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:42 am

TrogDawn wrote:
detuned wrote:
Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day is an absolute Tull classic (and was one of the few songs I always liked)
I've always loved that song, but it took on new meaning for me and got me through the first few weeks after my wife died. For some reason, Tull in general was the first music I turned to after she died and it was extremely comforting to me during that period...

That's very cool, thanks for sharing.

Anderson's lyrics are very personal (even if they are buried beneath layers of colorful prose). One of my favorite lines is from Wond'ring Aloud:

"Wond'ring Aloud, if the years will treat us well. As she floats in the kitchen I'm tasting the smell...of toast as the butter runs, and she comes, spilling crumbs on the bed..and I shake my head. And it's only the giving that makes you, what you are."
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Another favorite band of mine, seen them live a couple of times and both times played great sets. Top 5 for me ...

1. Benefit
2. Aqualung
3. Stand Up
4. Thick As A Brick
5. Mistral In The Gallery
Back to top Go down
http://www.doommantia.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Frikkin Tull!!   Jethro Frikkin Tull!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jethro Frikkin Tull!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE CAVE :: MUSIC DISCUSSION :: Doom Room/Stoner Heights :: Classic Rocks (Proto/Hard/Southern/Prog)-
Jump to: