THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UMPHREY'S McGEE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Stained Glass Flames
Chakafakka
Stained Glass Flames

Male Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2007-01-26

UMPHREY'S McGEE Empty
PostSubject: UMPHREY'S McGEE   UMPHREY'S McGEE Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Anyone else heard these guys? Whatcha think of 'em? I was just introduced to them tonight via "Soundstage Music Performances" on PBS. Pretty cool, classic sounding proggy stuff. I definitely feel like I heard elements of YES, KING CRIMSON, and PINK FLOYD... I think they might be worth looking into deeper. Fantastic musicianship, catchy melodies, and tons of jamming - much of it delving into that spacey, psychedelic 70's prog vibe, but still coherent enough to hold my interest. Methinks I shall search around on line a bit to hear more of their sounds.
Back to top Go down
screaming7s
Mattafakka
screaming7s

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-02-25

UMPHREY'S McGEE Empty
PostSubject: Re: UMPHREY'S McGEE   UMPHREY'S McGEE Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 7:14 am

I just discovered Umphrey's Mcgee about a year ago and I am fast becoming a big fan!

Unfortunately they get pegged into the Jam Band genre and while they do indeed fall into that catagory it think they are far more Prog!Take the bands SGF mentioned and throw in Zappa and Rush as well as the spacier side of the Dead and you are getting close to there sound! My first CD was Anchor Drops and that covers alot of ground! I still need sooo many more but I am tracking their stuff down in the used bins! My collection is way too big for me not to be thrifty!

I missed an opportunity to see UM last winter and I am still kicking myself for it but they just announced an outdoor summer show in my area and I will sooo be there!

Also, UM members have a side project with Chris Poland's OHM called OHMPhrey!!!
Back to top Go down

UMPHREY'S McGEE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE CAVE :: MUSIC DISCUSSION :: Doom Room/Stoner Heights :: Classic Rocks (Proto/Hard/Southern/Prog)-
Jump to: