THE CAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE CAVE

Several Species of Large Burly Trogs Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving on the Doom
(a.k.a. the official STONE GROOVE RECORDS message board)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SOLITUDE AETURNUS

Go down 
+7
NapalmDave
TrogDawn
Sword Of The Heretic
etombdissonance
ghosts of athanasius
spectrefate
Shawn Eat Snake
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NapalmDave
Mattafakka
NapalmDave

Male Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-06-05

SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:15 am

love sa, great band
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
NapalmDave
Mattafakka
NapalmDave

Male Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:17 am

ed wrote:
Yeah i love all of those also but a few more i would like to throw in is.

Electric Wizard - Still love the early stuff, i think they have lost a little of their edge recently but the early albums is still some of the heaviest stuff ever recorded.

Pagan Altar - Not really a Doom band if you think about it but they are classic old-school metal. Lords Of Hypocrisy is still my all time favorite album from them. That dood's vocals still sound so original.

Witchfinder General - First two albums still sound great today.

Church Of Misery - Endless songs about mass murderer's can get a bit tedious but musically they are a pure Doom onslaught with some killer riffs.

The Lamp Of Thoth - A bit cheesy at times but one of the most entertaining bands around today.

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium remains one of my most played and favorite albums ever. I like all their albums but that first album made me a Doom fan for life.

Sleep - Basically summed up the whole stoner/doom scene with one album "Dopesmoker" but Holy mountain is still my favorite.

Doomraiser - One of the best of the newer breed of Doom bands, some of their riffs are so infectious yet so heavy.

There is many more great bands but these ones and the ones on your list remain my most played Doom bands ever.
doomraiser is good, sleep owns all, cathedrals first 3 albums are gold, i dislike church of misery though, they stole macabres gimmick
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
ed
Mattafakka
ed

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm

NapalmDave wrote:
ed wrote:
Yeah i love all of those also but a few more i would like to throw in is.

Electric Wizard - Still love the early stuff, i think they have lost a little of their edge recently but the early albums is still some of the heaviest stuff ever recorded.

Pagan Altar - Not really a Doom band if you think about it but they are classic old-school metal. Lords Of Hypocrisy is still my all time favorite album from them. That dood's vocals still sound so original.

Witchfinder General - First two albums still sound great today.

Church Of Misery - Endless songs about mass murderer's can get a bit tedious but musically they are a pure Doom onslaught with some killer riffs.

The Lamp Of Thoth - A bit cheesy at times but one of the most entertaining bands around today.

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium remains one of my most played and favorite albums ever. I like all their albums but that first album made me a Doom fan for life.

Sleep - Basically summed up the whole stoner/doom scene with one album "Dopesmoker" but Holy mountain is still my favorite.

Doomraiser - One of the best of the newer breed of Doom bands, some of their riffs are so infectious yet so heavy.

There is many more great bands but these ones and the ones on your list remain my most played Doom bands ever.
doomraiser is good, sleep owns all, cathedrals first 3 albums are gold, i dislike church of misery though, they stole macabres gimmick

Yes they stole a lot from a lot of bands, their early stuff is the best. They have lost a bit of momentum with the last couple of albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.doommantia.com/
Stender
Hatchling Noob
Stender

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-03-26

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 7:08 pm

This band is incredible.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

Male Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Hey,welcome to the dark, doomy and totally cool and laid back virtual expanse that is the Cave.If you have any questions about the band I might be the one to answer them.I have known John and been acquainted with several past and current members of the band,as well as trying out for and being buds with Last Chapter.Also acquainted with a couple of members of the elusive Las Cruces,if you happen to know of and/or dig them.
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 12:36 pm

I would like to know what went wrong with the Hour Of Despair DVD, the sound is super-thin and nothing like whats on the CD's. Also the crowd is dead, if i was there i would be headbanging like crazy. Still better than no DVD at all but not a good representation of Solitude Aeturnus. I know someone who had never heard the band before who bought that DVD online as a introduction to the band. He hated it totally, i have since got him into the band by playing the CD's to him though.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:07 am

Just a guess,but I would say: budget.I don't know about Candlemass,because they have a few years and collectively,a lot more fame on SA,I don't know a lot about their finances,I believe John actually makes his living from the label and mailorder,but the rest of the guys have regular jobs.

In my opinion of course they should be "stars", and underground wise they are an example of the peak of doom success,but the sad reality is they still are not that well known.

Of course here is where we come in,I for example have done just about everything humanly possible to promote them,my page,wearing their shirts,blaring the music,I even have a Solitude hat.One of my most prized items though is a cross pendant like the one displayed in the picture of Beyond The Crimson Horizon.As far as the crowd,I don't know where it was shot.Due to my own buget constraints,I have yet to get it,I do have the old Days Of Doom VHS though, LOL,you think the DVD is low budget,of course I love it,but it was rough in spots.
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:42 am

I still like the DVD but from a promotional point of view, it doesn't do the band justice. On my surround sound system, i have to turn the bass up full blast just to get it to a decent level like the CD's. Its a pity because the production on their albums is killer. The crowd reaction is something that always bugs me anyway, i have seen a lot of great bands give amazing performance's to audience's that just stand around like zombies lol. Like you said its budget restrictions and i can understand that totally.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Yeah,since I am about promoting too,it is a shame that the DVD sounds like it is not impressing some people,it is even more of a shame since Solitude is such an EXCELLENT band.One of the things I have always said is that IMO one of the most glowing comments that I can make about them, is with knowing them personally,I have never had to exaggerate or embellish anything.

They really are that good,for example when I say Robert has a Dio quality of a great voice and being able to take most cover songs and make them his,I am totally serious ,and I for one am very happy that more and more of the world knows of their musical skill.

just stand around like zombies lol,hey,isn't that what doom fans should be doing,seriously though,yeah,to me if you spend hours hanging around in a smoky club,enduring other bands (as I had to do at many Solitude shows) by the time they hit the stage,you would think they would be very ready to make some noise.

I have been fortunate though a few times to have seen some all around great shows

SOLITUDE/TOURNIQUET
SOLITUDE/old thrash style LIVING SACRIFICE
SOLITUDE/LAS CRUCES (a doom fans dream)
and since I bummed a ride with them SOLITUDE solo as the Black Sabbath tribute band HAND OF DOOM
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:35 pm

I never expect wide mosh pits or stage-diving at a doom gig, that would be just ridiculous but some noise and at least some nodding of heads would be good. I actually think Rob is better than Dio and i Dio is one of my heroes so that is saying something. Rob has power, charisma and phrasing unlike anyone else in the Doom Metal scene. He might not the image attributes that some frontmen have but he makes up for it with his voice.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

Male Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Robert Lowe's vocals are amazing...not just as a Doom singer, but as a Singer in general...he puts forth such a powerful, sinister vibe in everything he sings...one of my faves.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:52 pm

ed wrote:
I never expect wide mosh pits or stage-diving at a doom gig, that would be just ridiculous but some noise and at least some nodding of heads would be good. I actually think Rob is better than Dio and i Dio is one of my heroes so that is saying something. Rob has power, charisma and phrasing unlike anyone else in the Doom Metal scene. He might not the image attributes that some frontmen have but he makes up for it with his voice.

SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_eek Wow,better than Dio,those are some strong words Dog of Doom.I guess I would say that they are each great in their own way.In some low points in my life, when practically no one was there,and before I became a part of any metal scene,the music of Sabbath and the emotion and power of Dio's voice sometimes helped me keep my sanity,so Dio is like that special friend I never got to meet.

SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 416866 On the other side of the coin,meeting Solitude has in a large part inspired me, and to tell the absolute truth, allowed me, in a way to go farther than I could ever have imagined within the underground metal scene.Speaking impartially for a moment though,as great as Robert is,I am only aware of three people directly influenced by his voice,which would be the singer for Solstice,myself (he taught me a lot about phrasing ,and when to cut notes off, instead of trying to carry them too far ) and IMO,either purposely or not,Shawn Green,the second singer for Chapter.

Of course,since you have your ear tuned to way more of the new doom scene ED,you would know better than me,are there more guys now being influenced by Robert ?

SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Wink Oh and about your "sinister" statement Shawn,its funny,because to me,on the first two Solitude albums,what I used to say was that to me if you imagined what the voice of an angel,say Gabriel for example,sounded like, it would be Robert's smooth steady melodic lines,I mean his voice just floats on Solitude's heavy rhythms in the older stuff.IMO,because of Robert's amazing control,SA is almost hypnotic in their heaviness...........
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Personally i think Robert's voice in more in tune with Doom Metal than Dio's but Dio is more of a straight Hard Rock singer so its hard to compare the two from that perspective. In the last 2 years i have more bands influenced by Solitude Aeturnus than ever before, Dark Covenant from Canada is one obvious one but the great thing about Robert is its real hard to copy his style so its pretty rare when you hear a direct copy of his voice. Musically however though, there is literally dozens of Solitude Aeturnus clones.
Back to top Go down
SabbSteve
What is the Matrix?
SabbSteve

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 11:44 pm

The band has arrived, SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Zclap-ha to me that is awesome news,after all no one copies you in heavier metal unless you are really good.It is all really opinion in the end of course, but to me with the mood,heaviness and lyrics,Dio fronted Sabbath SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 416866 to me vocally is the forerunner to the more progressive side of doom like Candlemass,Solitude,Sorceror etc.That combination of power and melodic tones.

The funny thing is they are like opposites of each other,where Dio mostly roars the verses and will take it down in intros or in the middle of a song,Robert mostly sings the verses melodically and roars for dramatic effect, at particular times.It is that ,that makes me compare the two at least in their approach.

Robert started off just singing more melodically on the first two albums,the third is really where he began to growl and roar a bit more.Though I wish the lyrics were a bit more outward looking,overall I think the way Robert varies his singing is a good change,that said though,I have to admit my favorite Candlemass song with him is "Stars and Smoke" and it has a vintage Solitude vocal feel about it............. SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Wink
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:41 pm

I got the Candlemass Ashes to Ashes DVD too and Rob's voice on that is the best thing about it. Not taking anything away from the rest of the band but his voice stands out on it more than the actual music.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 pm

This is a good band, from what I've heard of them. I am just getting heavily into doom, so these guys are a recent discovery. Rob Lowe is a KILLER vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 am

Picked up a used copy of Through The Darkest Hour last night @ FYE...killer album! I'm glad to have it in my possession once again...
Back to top Go down
ed
Mattafakka
ed

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:11 pm

John is doing a interview with me, hopefully it should be published this week.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Eat Snake
TROGLIKE
Shawn Eat Snake

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 am

Awesome!

I just picked up Hour Of Despair on DVD in a trade and despite being laid up in bed all weekend I did not watch it yet...
Back to top Go down
Jeffdls
FLINTSTONER
Jeffdls

Male Number of posts : 1791
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Recently picked up quite a few SA albums - Beyond the Crimson Horizon, Through The Darkest Hour, Downfall, Adagio and Alone. Great stuff WAY UP!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jeffdls
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOLITUDE AETURNUS   SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SOLITUDE AETURNUS
Page 1 of 1